The strategic objective of the project is to protect amphibian populations on the Natura 2000 areas in the north-eastern Poland.
The specific objectives are:
- Decreasing the amphibians mortality during seasonal migrations;
- Increasing the number of amphibians breeding places;
- Reducing amphibians mortality associated with the so-called anthropogenic traps;
- Organizing a monitoring network of amphibians threats near the communication routes.
The project's goals will be realized through the following conservation measures:
- Reduction in mortality of amphibians during migration season - building systems go for amphibians under roads in areas where their migration routes intersect with communication routes;
- Increase the number of breeding amphibians - restore overgrown and shallowed water reservoirs;
- Reduction of amphibians mortality associated with the so-called anthropogenic traps - designing technical solutions for amphibians protection as far as equipment used in construction is concerned;
- The organization of the monitoring network threats amphibians with communication routes - the supply of selected schools and educational centers with equipment and materials to assist with the monitoring of amphibians, training of personnel.
The project's realization is about to have the following results:
- Reduction of amphibians mortality during seasonal migrations in the local populations of Natura 2000 "Ostoja Suwalska", "Narew Marshes" and "Romincka Forest" - at least by 80%;
- Increasing the number of small water reservoirs, which are amphibians breeding places - 4 pieces;
- Increasing the amount of technical solutions that protect amphibians against so-called anthropogenic traps - developing a catalog with 5-10 objects;
- Increasing the number of data on amphibians threats near the communication routes in north-eastern Poland – creation of the amphibians monitoring network based on the selected schools and educational centers;
5. Increasing the number of publications on amphibians and their protection - two books.
Total budget: 3,930,152 EUR
Eligible costs: 3,930,152 EUR
Contribution of the European Union: 1,965,076 EUR
National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management
Regional Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management in Bialystok
Regional Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management in Olsztyn
"Man and Nature" Association
From the very beginning, the Association undertook activities related to amphibians active protection. Among others, the Association accomplished projects like "Protection of Hyla arborea, Bufo calamita and Bufo viridis breading places" financed by the KNOW-HOW Fund, 'Amphibians protection while they are migrating - building culverts on the road Sidory - Smolniki (Suwlaki Landscape Park)' - financed by EcoFund, 'Protection of endangered species in north-eastern Poland' - financed by EcoFund and GEF.
Thanks to implementing many projects related to nature, important and meaningful ecological goals have been achieved, including protection of Hyla arborea population in Wigry National Park. Members of the Association have extensive experience in implementing various kinds of tasks related to nature protection and education. They are also experienced in managing, running and accounting European Union projects - among others, in recent years, a project within the Infrastructure and Environment Operational Programme called 'Wigry Lake protection, with special emphasis on species and habitats in the Natura 2000 network'.
"Man and Nature" Association is a nonprofit organization, not running business, however, it is prepared to manage large projects. The Association meets the financial criteria established for the non-government organizations and has the ability to conduct large-scale projects.